Friday, April 13, 2012

DIY Project: Mosaic Night

Good news: I've been getting crafty lately! I recently recruited my friend Karley to join me at Mosaic Night at Baked in Brooklyn. We enjoyed 2 hours of drinking wine and being artsy with other local ladies.

It was my first time building a mosaic so I didn't really know what to expect. Overall, it was a fairly easy project.  The only frustration we endured was settling on our final mosaic layouts after futzing with a million different design options (what can I say, we're perfectionists).

The process went a little something like this:
  1. Choose your picture frame and an array of tile/glass pieces. 
  2. Mull over design ideas and try out different options until you finally come up with a creation you love. 
  3. Remove all the pieces from the aforementioned design on the frame and glue them back on.
  4. Let dry for 24 hours and grout the mosaic at home (we were given grout goody bags when we left the studio).
  5. Let the grout dry for over 3 hrs. Wipe the frame clean of any grout left on the tiles.
  6. Find a pretty picture to fill the frame and showcase it in your apartment. Ta da!

Karley carefully laying out her mosaic design

Me showing off my mosaic design

Before grouting 

The finished masterpiece after grouting!

...Now I just need to find a photo to showcase in my new frame!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for the comments!