Monday, July 11, 2011

Refreshing Drink Week: Day 1

It's been crazy hot in NYC the past couple of weeks.  I don't know about you, but when the weather gets hot n' humid, I crave a cool, refreshing beverage.  Thus, this week will be dubbed "Refreshing Drink Week" on Crafty in the Concrete Jungle.  Throughout the week, I'll be posting drink recipes including old faves as well as new crafty cocktails.  And as always, if you have a fun recipe to share, feel free to post it in the comments section. :) Enjoy!

Today's recipe is Sweet Mint Tea.  Its a classic fave of mine, which my mom makes every summer. I don't have her exact recipe so I devised my own.  So refreshing and delightful!


Sweet Mint Tea

Ingredients: 
- Fresh brewed black tea (simply bring a quart of water to boil and steep 6 tea bags for approx 5 min)
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves

Directions:
1. Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan.  Shred the mint leaves (a couple handfuls or approx 2/3 cup) and toss them in with the sugar water.  
2. Bring mixture to a boil on the stove.  Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 4 minutes.  
3. Remove from heat and let cool.* 
4. Add a spoonful or two (depending on preferred sweetness) to a glass of iced tea. 
5. Top with a sprig of mint for added appeal. 

* If you prefer, you can strain the boiled mint leaves from the syrup. 

This simple mint syrup also makes a yummy mojito!

1 comment:

  1. wish I could try your version of the old family classic

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for the comments!