Thursday, June 23, 2011

4 DIY earth-friendly planters

I think I might start referring to myself as "The Urban Farmer" pretty soon.  I've been doing quite a bit of planting and gardening within the small confines of my apartment lately.  My last attempt at herb growing went pretty well (until the chill of winter hit them and they all died), so I decided to take things one step further this time and start from scratch seeds.  This summer I'm attempting to grow basil, rosemary, thyme, spearmint, cucumbers and a variety of peppers.  I'm not so much worried about the herbs as I am about the cucumbers. I'm pretty sure they'll need room to sprawl (in a real garden), but my bf is insisting we can cultivate them indoors... in the same planter as the peppers.  I'm not sure how everything will turn out, perhaps some cross-breeding? Thus creating spicy cucumbers?  Who knows what this adventure will lead to. I'll have to take photos soon and show you all how quickly the cucumbers are sprouting (surprisingly fast!).

At any rate, I've started delving into the world of gardening a bit more and have come across some cool finds.  Today, I'm featuring DIY biodegradable planters that are both functional and fun.

1. Egg shells

[via]

2. Fruit peels
[via]

3. Sea urchin shells
[via]

4. Newspaper
[via]

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Thats even better then my DIY flower baskets! Love the egg shells!
    Love your blog!
    Cheers,
    S.
    www.shelleysarina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for the comments!