Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bringing my ideas to life with Mod Podge

I started my first crafting experience last night (very exciting!!).  I purchased a giant bottle of Mod Podge on Amazon about a month ago and I was bursting at the seams to crack that baby open.  So last night I rolled up my sleeves and started to work on a decoupage project I've been contemplating.

The Project: Ski map drink coasters.

Materials: Ski maps, mountain logos, cardboard, coffee, mod podge, sponge brush, and scissors.

I wanted a vintage feel so I placed the newly printed maps and logos in a giant vat of hot coffee for about 10 minutes.  The coffee gave the items a "worn-in" sorta look.  Then I took the damp maps and folded them around the coasters (I made the coasters from cutting circles out of a cardboard box).  After I was content with the shape and folds, I put a nice thick coating of Mod Podge on to keep everything in place.  NOTE: Mod Podge takes about 15 min for each coating to dry (I used a hair dryer to expedite the process).  After the first layer was dry I decoupaged the logos onto one side of the coaster and applied another coat of Mod Podge.

It took me about 3 hours to craft six coasters (its more time consuming than it sounds!) and then I headed to bed in anticipation of seeing them completely dry in the morning.  Upon morning inspection, I was quite satisfied with my first attempt at crafting somethin' outta nothin'.

When I get home from work today I'll add a few more coats of Mod Podge to smooth everything out and give the coasters more stability.   I can't wait to post the final result!  I'll try to upload some photos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for the comments!