Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I like birds.

Show me something with a bird in it and you'll probably grab my attention.  I'm drawn to designs that include a bird of some sort, especially silhouettes.  I love the concept of designing indoor spaces with elements of nature.  I was born and raised a country girl and since I've been living in the Concrete Jungle I've had to get my daily dose of nature somehow (Central Park just doesn't cut it!).

Over a year ago, I came across some vinyl wall decals on the internet (which seem to be a rapidly growing trend) but I didn't have the money to spend on the birds-sitting-on-a-branch decal that struck my fancy.  The decal designs tend to be a bit pricey, so I used the design as my muse and stenciled my own creation onto the living room wall of my old apartment.  To create the stencils, my mom gave me some old X-rays (the X-ray film is a tough plastic material) and we used a sharp razor blade to cut out the shapes I wanted.  Voila, the stencils were born!  Here was the final creation...


I have to say, even though I love my new apartment I kind of miss my stencil creation.  I guess it could be considered my first, big craft project.  ... Alright, I'm going to end this post before I get too nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thanks for the comments!